Sunday, January 4, 2015

DIY Vanilla Extract

Have you ever wondered how easy it is to make vanilla extract?? Wonder no more! It took me a whole 10 minutes to make. Seriously! The hardest part is waiting for it to be ready.
I drink Shakeology everyday, and I usually put almond extract in my Chocolate shakes. That adds up quickly! I decided to see if there was a difference between store bought vanilla extract and if I made my own..
I should preface this with.. I bought vanilla beans from Penzey's spices. They weren't cheap... I'm sure that you can find something a little less expensive in different locations. I wanted to start with the best!

This is the beginning of a extract quest. I will be attempting almond and raspberry next. After than, I am thinking about orange and mint. We will see! I will keep you posted.

Vanilla Extract:

What you will need:
8 ounce container (I just used a Mason Jar that I had)
8 ounces of your desired type of Vodka (We had Pinnacle in the liquor cabinet.. One less thing to buy.. )
3 Vanilla Beans

Instructions:
Cut the vanilla beans in half. Then cut them down the middle so the bean is open. Place all 12 of the cut beans in the jar. Pour the 8 ounces of Vodka over the top.
Let the container sit for 12 weeks before using.



I just made mine. I will let you know how it turns out in 12 weeks!!

Enjoy!

-Motivated Mommy Clayton

You can always find me on my Beachbody website!

No comments:

Post a Comment