Monday, December 22, 2014

Sun Dried Tomato Basil Quinoa Burgers

I know, I know! Kaitlyn, why are you messing with the holy goodness of burgers?! My friends, these protein packed deliciousness will blow your mind! I absolutely love these. On that note, my Husband is not sold.. He doesn't like the idea of messing with a MAN burger. Whenever I make these he refers to the Bud Light commercial of the guy cooking his Wifes quinoa burgers at the tailgate. Makes me laugh every time I watch it!
On that note, Isaac will eat them. And... It's more for me!
You can mix these up any way your heart desires. I am a huge fan of the sun dried tomato basil combo. I have done broccoli cheese, but always come back to this. Maybe next time I will attempt mushroom and swiss.. I'm getting hungry..

Sun Dried Tomato Basil Quinoa Burgers:

1 cup uncooked Quinoa (I followed the instructions on the packet)
3/4 cup cheese (I use a mozzarella and cheddar blend)
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (I used the whole container I bought from Copp's. The second time I used a bag I found at Woodman's)
2 eggs
3 tbsps Whole Wheat Flour
8 large leaves Basil (I really just eye this, and add the amount I think will be to my preference)
2 tbsps Coconut Oil

Once you have your quinoa cooked, let it cool. Once it is cool, add all ingredients together (NOT the coconut oil). If I find that my mixture is to soupy, I add a little more flour. Last time I didn't strain the quinoa very well, and had to double the flour.
Once all your ingredients are combined get out a cookie sheet, and line with parchment paper.
Form the mixture into patties. I liked smaller patties, and got about 6 out of this batch.
If you have time put them in the refrigerator for an hour or so. If it is any longer, make sure to cover them. I found that cooking them when they have had time to combine is a lot less messy.
When you are ready to cook them heat the coconut oil in a skillet. Cook the patties on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly golden.
If the patties are to thick you will need to finish cooking them in the oven. I did this once.. I put them in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.. It was a sad day waiting for these.
Keeping them smaller and thin will allow you to eat them right away.

Once they are done cooking, let them cool and chow down! If I need a little zip, I will top them with a little balsamic. So gosh darn good!!

Enjoy!

-Motivated Mommy Clayton

You can always find me at my Beachbody website!

No comments:

Post a Comment