Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Paleo Blueberry Lemon Muffins


Before Jason and I left for our Honeymoon, I went into a bit of muffin madness. I made two batches of muffins for the kids. They are an easy snack, and I found recipes that didn't venture far from our clean eating lifestyle. 
I had never worked with coconut flour, and read up on how different it was from white or whole wheat flour. Coconut flour is much more dense. You use a lot less of it than you would when cooking with a white or wheat flour. I would also recommend using the tin foil liners. The flour seeks out the moisture in the muffin. A day or two after you cook these up, the paper liner is tough to get off. 
I was surprised how much coconut flavor came through when using the coconut flour. The blueberries were a nice balance to the flavor. If you do not enjoy coconut, I wouldn't recommend using it. 

It has been an adventure to try Paleo and Gluten free recipes. I have tried simple changes, and it makes a world of difference. It isn't always the cheapest option in the store, but I always try it once. I can always go back!
What I have found, is that as more people use the healthier, organic, and natural options, it drives the price down. After talking to a cashier at my local grocery store, she mentioned that most of their organic options are very comparable to non organic. For example, the organic carrots are less than $1 more than non organic. Why wouldn't you get the organic! Even for most budget conscious folks, that is doable! She said that more and more people have switched, and the price continues to decrease. How exciting! 

Lets get to the recipe!! 

What You Need: 


6 organic eggs
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
1 lemon
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries 

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, juice of 1 lemon, zest of lemon, in a bowl. 

In a separate bowl combine sea salt, baking soda, and sift in coconut flour. 
Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
Next, fold in the blueberries. 


Line your muffin tins with liners. I would recommend tin foil liners.


Full tins about 3/4 of the way full. Use all of your mix to fill all of the liners. 
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Test with a toothpick, to verify it is cooked through. 

Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from your muffin tray. 

Enjoy!

-Motivated Mommy Clayton-

You can always find me on my Beachbody website!



No comments:

Post a Comment