Friday, November 28, 2014

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs


Tonight's meal.... Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meatballs! Sometimes making a meal a little more fat burning friendly can really help the waist line. Each time I make this meal, I add or change a little bit of something. I generally try to use what is in my pantry and go from there.
Hope you enjoy this spin on a traditional Italian meal!

Spaghetti & Sauce:
4 diced tomatoes
2 diced peppers (this time I used a yellow and a red pepper)
1 small can tomato paste
1 quartered spaghetti squash

Put all ingredients into a Crock Pot and cook on high for 3 hours, or until you are able to scrape spaghetti squash off of outer shell. Once you are able to scrape it off, cook to your liking. If you prefer it more crunchy you will cook for less than 3 hours.

Meatballs:
1 lb meat (I do ground turkey. You can do whatever your heart desires)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I use Italian, but just use what you have)
1 dash of salt
1 dash of pepper
1/4 cup of milk (I use almond milk because that is what we have in the house)
1 tsp basil
2 tbsp onion
1 tsp chili powder
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix all ingredients together. Roll meatballs into 1 inch balls. Place each on baking sheet. We generally get just under 3 dozen.
Bake meatballs for 15 minutes, and then turn them over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.

If you would like everything to mingle add the meatballs to the crock pot for the last 30 minutes.

The meatballs are generally gone at the end of dinner for us. I think the next time I make it I will double the meatball portion. Isaac eats the meatballs plain, and has about a half a dozen to himself.
I forgot to put mushrooms in this time of round, but generally put them into the sauce. Jason is a major meatball fan, so he doesn't mind this alternative! Husband and kiddo approved! Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment