Sunday, November 23, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats!

Yummo! On the left is one of my absolute favorites. Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats. I put it in a small Pyrex container and take it to work. I generally make this at a minimum once a week. It is so easy and delicious that it is hard not to!
I have become an avid Crock Pot user. When you have two children under two you find every way possible to make your life easy. When I can just throw ingredients in a heating source I am all for it.
I originally found the recipe on Pinterest, but it came out wayyy to soupy. I prefer it to be less soupy. If you are a soupy fan, then just add more water or milk. This is the most recent recipe I have used:
3 Peeled and Cubed Apples (choose whichever kind suits your fancy)
1 1/2 Cups Steel Cut Oats
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Cinnamon
3 Cups Almond Milk (You can use whatever kind of milk your heart desires)
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Raisins (Optional)

You literally put everything in the Crocker and let it cook overnight on low. Now... Here's the problem with that.. The first batch stuck to the sides, and we literally had to soak it for days to get everything off. If you so choose to cook this overnight, just get a bag. If you happen to be around the house when you cook it, cook it on high for 3 hours. Scrape the sides when you are one hour into it. After that first hour, scrape the sides every 30 minutes. Not only will this prevent everything from sticking, but it will keep the oats cooking evenly.

As you can see I used a small Crocker to make them. Next round I am going to do a double batch in the big pot. The nice thing about reducing the liquids is that I will heat them up, and add a little milk. I also added some walnuts after I heated them as well.

This is the perfect winter breakfast! This is kiddo tested and husband approved. Isaac devours these, and Jason is not shy about taking a large container to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment