Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pallet Bookshelf DIY

This is by FAR one of the easiest, and coolest projects I have done to date. It was something I thought about just having my husband do, but decided that I would spearhead the project. I even got to use power tools! I will admit my husband did cut the top of the shelves, and hang them, but that was it!

First, you start off with a pallet. You cut across the pallet, but where you would like your shelf to end. You will need to pull a board off of the pallet, to nail to the bottom. This will hold the books, and keep them in place.

From there I sanded the pallet, and got it smooth enough to stain. Since this pallet was very rough, I did what I could to make it workable.

Although my sanding efforts helped, they were not perfect. The staining process took forever. With the wood being so rough, the staining did not go on very smooth. This was by far the most tedious part of the project.

After the staining, I nailed the extra board to the bottom. Once it was nailed in, we put it up on the wall.

This shelf is in our oldest son Isaac's room. He got books for one of his baby showers. We have tons and tons of books that needed a home. They now and a perfect place to stay.

We are making a little reading corner. We are still in the process of looking for small chairs, but plan to have that be a focal point in his room.

I would highly recommend this project to anyone with leftover pallets!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment